I owe you some updates but I’m going to push those off for a few more days…right now I want to talk about trade offs.
Sometimes I find myself wondering what my life would be like if I had made one (or two) decisions differently in my past. About the time I start second guessing, God provides me a really clear understanding that my life is His plan and has His timing. Sometimes these trade offs are obvious and instant and sometimes they are not.
I don’t often get homesick – I don’t really have a home, per say – but sometimes I am pretty bummed about having to miss things going on wherever I’m living because of work.
This week God has blessed me to show me both with one simple meeting.
I’m leaving on Wednesday for San Diego to see my best friend (she’s from SD, came to KC for grad school, graduated in May, and moved back to start working). On Sunday I fly from San Diego to Indianapolis for a week long conference for work. Last Thursday, during my last minute trip to Houston for the day, we set up time to have another meeting in Houston on Tuesday. This means flying to Houston tomorrow morning, staying with another good friend of mine, and then flying directly to San Diego a few hours earlier on Wednesday. Not a bad plan. Lots of packing but lots of fun as well.
Came into work this morning and found that my meeting had been pushed to Thursday instead of Tuesday. This means another refund to my credit card and more canceled plans with friends in Houston.
In reflecting on this change of events, I started listed off reasons I’m thankful to be staying in KC:
- 1 more nights rest in my own bed
- 2 more crossfit workouts at my home box
- not having to haul steel toed boots and hardhat for 2 weeks
- 30 hours less clothing to pack
- not having to file another expense report this month
- picking up my own farmers market box
- finishing my golf class I’m taking with a friend
- listening to the presentation at lunch at work I’m interested in
- enjoying 70 degree weather in KC in July
- picking up all my home-finishing fedex packages
- getting my eyebrows waxed before I leave
- not having to cancel my massage appointment
- not having to rush through neighborhood night tonight
I’m still bummed about not getting to go to dinner with a friend and stay with another (and I have to call into a meeting while on vacation in California) but I am happy to be hanging around KC for another day which is something I didn’t think my heart would ever want.
I guess this place is growing on me…